Job Opening: Science Communications Officer, HSI/HSUS
Contributor: Marilyn Matevia, HSUS
The Humane Society family of organizations (The Humane Society of the United States/HSUS and Humane Society International/HSI) is looking for a Science Communications Officer to advance HSI/HSUS global efforts to
- stimulate a shift in bioscience research and drug discovery toward human biology-based technologies and models for safety, efficacy and human disease;
- stimulate interest and critical discussion of these topics among biomedical scientists, research funding bodies, charitable health foundations and patient advocacy groups, the scientific and mainstream media; and
- achieve regulatory change through liaison with policy makers and scientists in the corporate, governmental, and other stakeholder communities.
Term of Employment:
Consultancy, with potential for full-time employment.
Preference for Washington DC (Headquarters), Montréal (Canadian office), London (UK office) or Brussels (EU office), with home working option negotiable for qualified candidates.
Director, Research & Toxicology Department, HSI
Vice President for Animal Research Issues, The HSUS
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the Humane Society family’s disease model research program, developing funding applications/proposals, screening applications and liaising with academic grant-holders, organize scientific workshops to examine commissioned reviews of animal disease models and recommended roadmaps for 21st century non-animal health research, including preparation of workshop reports for publication in high-impact peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Serve as scientific analyst and assist the Humane Society Family in discussions with the pharmaceutical sector to ensure maximum uptake of “3R best practices” for safety and efficacy in regulation, test guidelines, and other relevant instruments.
- Support the Humane Society family’s public policy efforts through development of targeted non-technical briefing materials and participating, as needed, in meetings with politicians, research funding bodies, charitable health foundations, patient advocacy groups and other relevant stakeholder groups.
- Develop and secure placement of media briefing packages, op. eds., letters to the editor and other targeted communiqués highlighting the limitations of animal disease models in health research and safety testing and promising non-animal case studies and establish and maintain positive relationships with specialized science media as well as mainstream science journalists and editors and serve as a scientific spokesperson for the Humane Society family.
- Travel for meetings, events and other activities, as needed.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the director or the vice president.
- Medical degree or PhD-level equivalent experience in a relevant scientific field, ideally with a professional qualification in scientific communications
- Commitment to the Humane Society family’s objectives and mainstream operating style and the ability to professionally advocate our positions
- Strong project management and organizational skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and negotiation
- Ability to quickly absorb and communicate complex subject matter to a variety of audiences
- Ability to multi-task, take initiative, and work effectively as part of a team or independently
- Outgoing and personable manner
- Ability to work patiently and astutely with different stakeholder groups and in multicultural and multilingual environments
- Experience in preparing content for digital media, including electronic publishing and social media campaigns: specifically, the ability to extract key messages and information and compress them into prose that fits the requirements of various digital/social formats
- Some knowledge of web platforms (e.g. wordpress) helpful
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally, as needed
- Hard worker willing to go above-and-beyond
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Aviva Vetter at email@example.com.
More information available here.